I have a background in agricultural economics, however currently my major area of research centres around adaptation to climate change. I have considerable experience ranging across many aspects of adaptation and climate change, including the economic impacts of climate change; the economics of adaptation; community resilience to extreme weather; identification of robust adaptation options in agriculture; synergies between adaptation and mitigation; perceptions of adaptation; and historical adaptation to extreme weather events.
I recently spent two years on secondment from SRUC at the Scottish Government as a science adviser on climate change. My role there was to provide a link between research and policy on climate change related matters.
Prior to joining SRUC in 2008, I was a senior researcher at the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research. Here I was in the Adaptation team and was involved in a large European Project looking at adaptation and mitigation strategies (ADAM). I remain a visiting fellow of the Tyndall Centre.
Other areas of research I have been involved in include mitigation of agricultural greenhouse gas emissions, trade policy analysis, and the impact of agricultural trade and policies on the environment.
- Wreford, A, Renwick, A (forthcoming) Estimating the costs of climate change adaptation in the agricultural sector. CAB Reviews: Perspectives in Agriculture, Veterinary Science, Nutrition and Natural Resources
- Hall, C., Wreford, A (2012) Climate change adaptations: The views of stakeholders in the livestock industry. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, 17 (2) pp 207-222. DOI: 10.1007/s11027-011-9321-y
- Renwick, A, Wreford, A (2011) Climate change and Scottish agriculture; An end to freedom to farm? International Journal of Sociology of Agriculture and Food, 18 (3) pp 181 - 198
- Moriondo, M., Bindi, M., Kundzewicz, Z. W., Szwed, M., Chorynski, A., Matczak, P., Radziejewski, M., McEvoy, D., and Wreford, A. (2010) Impact and adaptation opportunities for European agriculture in response to climatic change and variability. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, 15:7, 657-679
- Mechler, R., Hochrainer, S., Aaheim, A., Salen, H., and Wreford, A. (2010) Modelling economic impacts and adaptation to extreme events: Insights from European case studies. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, 15:7, 737-762
- Aakre, S., Banaszack, I., Mechler, R., Rubbelke, D., Wreford, A., and Kalirai, H. (2010) Financial adaptation to disaster risk in the European Union: Identifying roles for the public sector. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, 15:7, 721-736. 2010
- Wreford, A., Moran, D., Adger, N (2010) Climate change and agriculture: Impacts, adaptation and mitigation. Paris, OECD
- Wreford, A., Adger, N. (2010) Adaptation in agriculture: historic effects of heat waves and droughts on UK agriculture. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability 8(4) pp 278-289
- Barnes, A.P., Wrerford, A., Butterworth, M., Seminov, M., Moran, D. Evans, N. and Fitt, B.D.L. (2010). Adaptation to increasing severity of phoma stem canker on winter oilseed rape in the UK under climate change. Journal of Agricultural Science (forthcoming).
- Adger, W.N., Dessai, S., Goulden, M., Hulme, M., Lorenzoni, I., Nelson, D., Naess, L-O., Wolf, J., Wreford, A. (2009) Limits and barriers to adaptation. Climatic Change, 92 (3-4) pp 335 - 354
- Wreford, A., Adger, W.N. (2008) Climate change: The economics of adaptation. Economic Review, 26 (1) pp 2-5
- Saunders, C., Wreford, A., Cagatay, S. (2006) The impact of trade policy changes on greenhouse gas emissions from the dairy sectors in New Zealand and the European Union. Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 50 (4) pp 538-555