My main research interests are in animal motivation, cognition and learning, and the use of behavioural temperament tests to assess welfare on farms.
Since 2000, I have worked with dairy cattle, but prior to that worked with layer hens and pigs. Most recently, I have worked on three projects investigating cattle welfare on commercial farms. The first project assessed the effect of zero-grazing (continuous housing) on aspects of cow health and behaviour. The second project compared the welfare of cows on organic and non-organic farms, and the third project assessed the effect of dairy cattle breeding programmes on cow temperament.
- Scientific approaches to welfare assessment in dairy cattle, and the relationship between welfare and farm sustainability.
- The relationship between animal behaviour and growth efficiency in beef cattle
- The effect of housing and husbandry conditions on the emotional and cognitive state of animals
- Umstatter, C., Brocklehurst, S., Ross, D. and Haskell, M.J. (2013). Can the location of cattle be managed using broadcast audio cues? Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 147: 34-42
- Haskell, M.J., Masłowska, K., Bell, D.J., Roberts, D.J. and Langford, F.M. (2013). The effect of a view to the surroundings and microclimate variables on use of a loafing area. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 147:28-33
- MacKay, J.R.D., Turner, S.P., Hyslop, J., Deag, J.M. and Haskell, M.J. (2013). Short term temperament tests in beef cattle relate to long term measures of behavior recorded in the home pen. Journal of Animal Science (in press)
- Barrier, A.C., M.J. Haskell, M.J., S. Birch, S., Bagnall, A., Bell, D.J., Dickinson, J., Macrae, A.I. and Dwyer, C.M. (2013). The impact of dystocia on dairy calf health, welfare, performance and survival. Veterinary Journal, 195, 86-90
- Barrier, A.C., Mason, C., Dwyer, C.M., Haskell, M.J., and Macrae, A.I., (2013). Stillbirth in dairy calves is influenced independently by dystocia and body shape. The Veterinary Journal
- Barrier, A.C., Haskell, M.J. and Dwyer, C.M. (2012). Parturition progress and behaviours in dairy cows with calving difficulty. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 139: 209-217
- Mackay, J.R.D., Deag, J and Haskell, M.J. (2012). Establishing the extent of behavioural reactions in dairy cattle to a leg mounted activity monitor. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 139: 35-41
- Haskell, M.J., Bell, D.J. and Gibbons, J.M. (2012). Is the response to humans consistent over productive life in dairy cows? Animal Welfare, 21: 319-324