Dr Sue Tongue

Scotland's Rural College

Research Interests

I qualified as a vet (BVSc) from Bristol University and after a considerable period of time in mixed, general veterinary practice mostly in the south-west of England (with a spell in the Antipodes) completed an MSc in Veterinary Epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine with the Royal Veterinary College (RVC) and Veterinary Laboratories Agency (VLA).

Inspired, I then was fortunate to be employed at VLA  Weybridge (now part of APHA) ; working in the Epidemiology Department led by John Wilesmith, within the Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy (TSE) research programme led by Danny Matthews and to have the opportunity, at the same time, to complete a PhD registered at the RVC with Dirk Pfeiffer as my principal supervisor. This provided valuable experience of the scientific/policy interface; the leadership and management of large field-based epidemiology research projects; surveillance; interdisciplinary collaboration and, when time permitted, quantitative analysis – all with a focus on scrapie and sheep.

After seven busy years and with the completion of my PhD in 2007, I moved ‘next door’ to explore the scientific/regulatory interface; working for four years as a Veterinary Assessor within the Pharmaceutical and Feed Additives team at the Veterinary Medicines Directorate. I kept a species-focus of sheep while expanding my horizons again.

I joined the Epidemiology Research Unit at SRUC Inverness in August 2011. My ‘research interest’ is the provision (i.e. delivery) of good, relevant, epidemiological science that meets the needs of those commissioning the research, be it policy-makers or ‘industry’; and the translation of that science into practical and feasible options or actions that can make a difference, within the boundaries and constraints encountered in everyday life... and, if sheep, cattle, anthelmintics, antimicrobials, ticks, zoonoses and/or public health are involved then all to the good.

Selected Publications

See Web of Science; PubMed, or something similar, if you are interested.